Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Gallery Openings Galore

One of the main things I wanted to do when I arrived in Melbourne was to drink free wine. The best place to do that is at gallery openings. The fact that I'm fond of art makes for a happy, drunken marriage.

September saw me drink quite a bit of free wine. Here are some highlights ...

Making-doo by Niels 'Nails' Oeltjen
Lamington Drive, Fitzroy

Niels' work looks like Steampunk scenes painted by an Eastern European folk artist. Huge boards are covered in sundried colours, and depict machines as houses, and birds free of their cages.

Niels in front of the mural he created for the exhibition

Niels and his mum in front of a quilt she made, based on one of his paintings

The very lovely Carly and Tam in front of Niels' signature piece

Japanese Pop and Modern Art
Collingwood Gallery

30 Japanese artists came together for a very eclectic show. Everything from calligraphy to manga was bursting from the walls in the sizable gallery.

Izumi Ishihara provided some live painting

Some sculptures chillin'

Tam in front of her favourite piece ... I was 1 wine away from buying it!

BOMBSHELL BABES
Kustom Lane Gallery, Hawthorn

One of my favourite galleries in Melbourne is Kustom Lane in Hawthorn. The refurbished shed is packed with Lowbrow goodness. The latest exhibition did not disappoint!

Several photographers got together to show their take on the pinups of the 40s. Not only was there great art on the walls, but great art spilled out into the streets - 50s cars and rockabilly lasses as far as my happy eyes could see.

Paul Vanzella's Cadillac .... yum! Now this is a real car!

A handcrafted steel Tiki wood burner ... now I know what I want for my birthday!!!

No comments: